Pages

Sunday 31 July 2011

It is of the Lord's mercies..

Though we fall, though we fail, the Lord God upholds our spirits. No matter how dim upon our faces the reflection of Christ's glory is, the Lord stays faithful to His promises. This is a word of encouragement.

Proverbs 18:14  The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?

Note (by Matthew Henry),

1. Outward grievances are tolerable as long as the mind enjoys itself and is at ease. Many infirmities, many calamities, we are liable to in this world, in body, name, and estate, which a man may bear, and bear up under, if he have but good conduct and courage, and be able to act with reason and resolution, especially if he have a good conscience, and the testimony of that be for him; and, if the spirit of a man will sustain the infirmity, much more will the spirit of a Christian, or rather the Spirit of God witnessing and working with our spirits in a day of trouble.

2. The grievances of the spirit are of all others most heavy, and hardly to be borne; these make sore the shoulders which should sustain the other infirmities. If the spirit be wounded by the disturbance of the reason, dejection under the trouble, whatever it is, and despair of relief, if the spirit be wounded by the amazing apprehensions of God's wrath for sin, and the fearful expectations of judgment and fiery indignation, who can bear this? Wounded spirits cannot help themselves, nor do others know how to help them. It is therefore wisdom to keep conscience void of offence.


Let's conclude this post with a bit of Hebrew poetry from Psalm 43 : )


Judge me, O God,
     and plead my cause against an ungodly nation:
O deliver me
     from the deceitful and unjust man.


For thou art the God of my strength:
     why dost thou cast me off?
Why go I mourning
     because of the oppression of the enemy?
 

O send out thy light and thy truth:
     let them lead me;
Let them bring me unto thy holy hill,
     and to thy tabernacles.
 

Then will I go unto the altar of God,
     unto God my exceeding joy:
Yea, upon the harp will I praise thee,
     O God my God.
 

Why art thou cast down, O my soul?
     and why art thou disquieted within me?
Hope in God: for I shall yet praise him,
     who is the health of my countenance, and my God!

No comments: